Saturday 17 May 2014

Thoughts on Liverpool for UKOUG


You will have seen all the buzz around call for papers for both #UKOUG_Tech14 and #UKOUG_Apps14 and today I was at the venue the ACC Liverpool to look at the space for myself.









 Fiona Martin who is leading tech and myself for Apps, arrived at the venue on what turned out to be a lovely spring day. Yes I know that come December it may not be as warm but I know the welcome will be.


The building is very modern which means it is purpose built and the space is very flexible.

The experience for our members is our top priority and I believe the teams will achieve this, there are so many things we can do here.



The ACC is located right next to the Albert Docks and the area is modern with history. To understand that you simply have to join us in December.

I live in Belfast and it is a short 45 minute flight from there with EasyJet although I did notice the ferry stops right outside the ACC, however that is an overnight journey so may give it a miss, especially in December!!





Within 5 minutes walk of the ACC we saw a dozen hotels ranging from basic like IBIS to high end, even a barge if you want.











The Docks are beautiful full of restaurants, bars and tourist shops, but not expensive. Liverpool doesn't seem to aim at high end costs, it caters for all but especially the lower cost. Fiona and I had brunch in a dinner and it certainly was not expensive. The docks just ooze atmosphere and if Larry would like to attend I am sure he can arrange parking his boat here now he has practiced at HQ.





In the area there is so much to do, obviously The Beatles Story is a must, but the TATE is also there, the Liverpool wheel is outside the ACC and they gave us a helpful and money saving delegate card with lots of discounts in the area. This one expires in November but there are plans for a new one covering our stay.

I travel a lot and always want to see as much as possible in the time available and my favourite way to do this is 'hop on, hop off' buses. The Liverpool service stops again right outside the ACC.

So hopefully I have persuaded you Liverpool will be fun. Start planning your adventure.

Did I mention the Beatles? Well in the docks we found a sweetshop and this picture is made of Jelly Beans.











No comments: