Saturday 9 April 2011

A Tough Act To Follow

I like a challenge, and this is a big one, stepping into the shoes of Ronan Miles as Chairman of UKOUG.

Ronan receives his Oracle UK and Ireland Award
Ronan has been Chairman for 11 years and on the board for 13, but he wants this change to be about the future and not looking back at the past, so I have promised not to talk about what he has achieved, except read this.

I am proud because the members vote me on to the board, and there my peers have elected me their Chairman. I hope I can do that faith justice. I am proud because I work for an organisation who see the value in being active in the community in which they operate, and allow me to do what I do.

I have been active in the User Group Scene for 9 years and Deputy to Ronan for 7, very active in the International Oracle User-group Community, and know most of their Presidents, so for me it is an easier transition. My new deputy, Lisa Dobson has a much bigger learning curve, but she will do brilliantly. Lisa is known for her passion initially for newbies, and I know as the newbie herself now she will reach out to the network of support we both have, our fellow board members, our staff and our volunteers. 

I am amazed and humbled by all the messages of support I have received from everybody. Thank you, each and every one of you, who took the time to say congratulations, and I hope I can live up to the honour.

No comments: